Pages

Sunday 7 June 2009

You make a difference!


Thank you for your patience while I have been away. I wanted to capture for you first hand the conservation work that is now being carried out on the Ackworth School Samplers. Here is just one before and after picture for you. Some of you may recognize Elizabeth Stephenson's sampler of 1783 - like the Hannah Westcombe Sampler it is a lovely example of one of the earliest text samplers. The sampler has been taken out of its old frame (bottom), the old board removed. Then it was painstakingly vacuumed back and front to remove dust and dirt particles and relaced over new acid free board and reframed in a more sympathetic frame (top).

4 comments:

  1. Wonderfully done. I LOVE those types of samplers also. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a different note. I don't know why you have Remembering Pumpkin Lattes on your sidebar, because I am just hanging in there until October and Pumpkin Lattes are back again. Thanks for the tribute...so enjoying Mary Wigham. My first quaker and biggest project to date. Is there a NPI equivalent for the flosses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to the blogging world and to quaker samplers. I just love them and enjoy learning about them. I have contributed towards Mary and I look forward to stitching her. I love all the history you provide. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqueline,

    Thanks for the great posts. I am just now learning bits and pieces about the Ackworth samplers. I would love for you to do a post on their history -- that way, we Mary stitchers would get to learn more about Mary and the other samplers.

    ReplyDelete